Preparing to move your home or office? Moving is an arduous, dirty and occasionally frustrating process, but it doesn’t have to be. When you implement a system, create a checklist and hire great local movers, you’ll pull it all off without a hitch. Here are our best packing tips for moving in Columbus, OH to ensure your whole process goes smoothly:
- Create a system: The first thing you should do is create a moving system, which tackles each part of your moving project. Make a list of what needs to be done and in which order for the best results possible.
- Make a “moving folder”: In your moving folder, collect important contacts, moving lists, receipts, schedules, utility information, key codes and other crucial information you might need on moving day. Keep this folder handy while scheduling a mover and on moving day itself.
- Get rid of everything you won’t use: Next, purge your possessions as much as possible. The more you get rid of, the less you’ll have to move, and the less you’ll have to unpack at your next location. Moving is a great time to cut down on everything.
- Book your mover: Before you start packing, book your mover. Many movers are scheduled well in advance. Don’t leave your move to the last minute, or you may end up hauling your possessions on your own.
- Stock up on supplies: After you’ve got a moving date booked, stock up on the supplies you’ll need. Make sure you have plenty of boxes in various sizes, packing tape, sharpies, cushioning and labels.
- Use the right size boxes: The easiest way to break something during a move is picking the wrong size box. Too small, and you’ll be individually boxing items (and wasting a ton of space), too large, and your items may shift—or if the box is too full, cause the box to collapse.
- Don’t mix and match rooms: Always pack according to room. Don’t mix kitchen stuff with your bedroom stuff, unless you’re aiming for the world’s most disorganized unpacking experience.
- Cushion thoroughly: Make sure you use plenty of cushion to shield your delicate items. Bubble wrap, packing peanuts and shredded paper are popular choices, but you can also fill empty space with towels, sheets and clothing.
- Label boxes with contents and the room: Once your boxes are filled and taped, label them with the room they go in, plus a brief description of what’s in them. That way, you’re never stuck looking through 50 boxes just to find a clean towel.
- Ask about moving special items: For precious, expensive or unwieldy items, talk to your moving company about whether they are equipped to handle your prized possessions. Some movers have special crates for art and other valuables, designed to protect them during the move.
For more information about packing tips or to schedule your own moving service, call Quality Experienced Moving, Inc. today. Our local movers in Columbus, OH are prepared to handle residential and commercial moves both large and small!